Re: Older Equiptment

Michael A Hamblin writes:

 > On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Micah Yoder wrote:
 >
 > > Another issue... if we do either of these, we'll need character mode
 > > educational apps!  Do any exist?  Are we going to write them?  Is it
 > > worth writing them when almost everyone wants a GUI?
 >
 > I thought that was one of the issues that came up when yall were
 > discussing interfaces :) I would like to see apps that could be run
 > through Gnome, KDE, plain X, Java, CGI, and text mode myself because that
 > would give a lot of options for ppl trying to integrate software.
 > Obviously though there is no way that's going to happen! :) That's just
 > too much work for a small group.  I look at it this way, you should
 > support the lowest common denominator, and the popular thing. In this case
 > that means writing a text based interface and a Gnome app. But I have
 > coded a little of both, and text based interfaces are a lot easier to
 > build than GUI's so I don't think that this would be asking a lot :)
 >
 > Am I wrong?

you're wrong in the first part of the paragraph where you say "that's
just too much work for a small group".  if effort goes into modular
design, people can work independently on their components.  putting the
components into a library also helps to separate front and back ends.

everything else seems reasonable.

thi