Re: Intro

Hans,

I'm not really the one to be answering this, but I found it interesting. First
thank you for contacting us and I hope you keep in touch. I believe there are
really two questions. First it sounds like you are looking for a donation of
old equipment. The various statements raised a number of questions. I have
thought that one would look locally since I felt the shipping cost would be
prohibitive. Maybe I'm wrong. We run a small business but by the time
something goes out the door it no longer works and isn't worth fixing. That
may be why you're not seeing anything. I suppose one could salvage usable
parts and try to assemble a computer. That might be interesting for the club.
There was something in the other post about, "486's just aren't going to be
popular running Windows 95. Anyway, there's no sense wasting this old hardware
that could be put to use". We have two 486's running Windows 95 one dual
booted with Linux. They run fine. The reason I'm saying this is that to do
something effectively one has to determine reality. For the most part it
appears to me that for individuals and small businesses old computers are
handed down or end up in swap meets or something. Very few computers from
these sources end up as donations. I would like to hear other views. For large
companies the story is different. Once the  computers are depreciated, they
are candidates for replacement. This leads me to believe that it would be best
to approach larger companies and find out what they do with their old
computers. For example see (http://www.edos.org) and look at the messages.
There is one about computer donations from some company. In another post there
is the statement, "or someone may know of someone tossing out lots of old
equipment and needs a tax write-off". Just to clarify there is no tax write-
off, the computers are already written off. The companies are looking for
someone to haul the computers away for free and perhaps get the publicity of
the donation. Next it sounds like you want to set up one computer running
Linux and connect the others to it. What's not clear is where the Linux
computer is going to be and more importantly how you are going to connect the
other computers to it. More information would be helpful. If you intend to
have N
modem connections at the same time, you will need N phone lines. If you're
going to connect them as a lan, you will need them in close proximity.

Bob