Re: Older Equiptment

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Michael A Hamblin wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Hans Sittler wrote:
>
>> I am responding to this message because I also think that there's a
>> lot of older equipment that I can get donated and that would work
>> well if configured as terminals.

Thanks, Michael on your review.

However, I have not found the most  obvious  solutions  in  it,
which I wish I knew more:

- DOS computer with TCP/IP stack and good enough (by Linux
  standards) telnet.

  Is there any TCP/IP (or IPX? can IPX be used to telnet?)  stack
  which could be boot from ONE 1.44/1.2 floppy? (diskless station)

  That is, without bootROM and HardDrive?

  (The target computer has as little as 1 MB RAM)

  What other  protocol could be used over ethernet to
  make terminal connection? Any solutions?

- serial cable (null-modem) to the Linux server.
  Which terminal program is best (makes better terminal) ?

I am asking this in hope somebody here could  know.  You  know,
this could be a very  effective  argument  on  "why  Linux"  in
education! It could recycle really old equipment. (well,  I  am
sure if it is good thing, considering dangerous radiation  from
old displays...)

I've asked this question on the usenet, but received the URL to
LOTS of terminal programs somewhere on cdrom.com.

But I don't want lots,  I  just  want  someone  who  made  real
solution and can tell me the most suitable terminal program for
doing this.

Thanks!

I think, it could be a branch on seul-edu: what equipment Linux
get  put  to  good  use  in  schools,  albeit  indirectly   (as
terminals)

For example, imagine a school with a dozen of i286/2Mb/netcard
'puters.

Even poor school could try to buy some server computer and thus
put their 12 puters to more productive use! Who  will  say  'NO
LINUX, THANKS' in this situation?! They will say "WOW!  WE  CAN
ALSO INSTALL LINUX AND HAVE 13 Pentiums at once!"

(Its easy for a Pentium to serve 12 terminal users at once, you
know. If they aren't into some CPU-hungry computations.)

So, this is my suggestion: lets have a  underlow-end  soft/hard
solutions for Linux on the seul-edu web -  this  will  interest
educators much!

But of course, first we need find people who made it.

Where can I ask?

Sincerely yours,
Roman A. Suzi

 -- Petrozavodsk -- Karelia -- Russia --