Re: Edu howto idea.

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> I'll look further into ELKS after the weekend. It looks like a very
> cute gutted-old-linux-kernel-that-still-works-well. I'm not sure how
> far they've gotten in terms of apps that work well on it. Getting a good
> distrib (not just kernel) for 286 or XT boxes might be just what some
> of you need... the main problem is that most of the fancy ui-oriented
> apps these days are also resource-intensive. But I digress.

Latest Version is 0.0.74 release December 4, 1998, although the ELKS
webpage seems a bit out of date.
http://www.uk.linux.org/ELKS-Home/index.html

There does not appear to be network support, although support for serial
stuff seems to be there.

From the FAQ:
"Big chunks are missing, such as swapping, shared libraries, parallel and
serial I/O, and networking. Having said that, it is already able to boot,
provide virtual consoles, mount a root minix filesystems floppy, and
start various small programs."

There do not appear to be any ready-to-run distros of ELKS, although this
may be due to the pages not having been updated in a while.

Apparently it is possible to use ELKS with a 360k boot disk and a 360k
root disk, or to use ELKS with a root partition on the hard disk.

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/