RE: EDUML, the Launchpad, and Timeframes

I agree with Doug Loss:  A stage manager is not important.  For many things
project management is already located with those who have a sense of what is
needed and what project members are able to do.

++  The goal of each project must be identified with simplicity and clarity.
Clarity is everything.  Project coordinators can even guestimate how long a
project is expected to take.  The discipline of a time frame is very
helpful.

++  One person needs to take responsibility for overseeing both the progress
of a project and asking others for help with specific tasks.  That
coordinator will give periodic progress reports.  Pick a day of the week and
a time of day.  Whatever gets done up to that time, the coordinator posts a
report.  Because of differing claims on personal and professional time, that
day and time is left up to each project coordinator to decide.  Project
coordinators: tell us when you will provide your weekly summary.  And keep
us aware of any changes to that posting time.

++  The subject line for all requests for assistence on the seul-edu list
(and others) ought to contain the project name and something of a help
marker.  Maybe "assistance needed" is enough.  Threads are then kept to
topic in a more disciplined fashion.  A lot of communication back and forth
may not necessarily involve the seul-edu list, as such, which is fine.

++  Weekly summaries can be posted to the list as well as appropriate web
site.

University semesters often take 16 weeks.  Win, lose or draw, its over in 16
weeks.  If projects are bracketed into (say) 16 week segments (certainly
some need more or less time), break down how that plays out per week for any
individual or group contribution.  Then stick with that allocation of time.
The discipline time allocation is more important than simply tackling work
and trying to accomplish a given task.  Work is infinite.  Time is finite.
Therefore, regulate time.  The work will take care of itself.

Doug Loss, you seem to have a central role in all this.  You have technical
knowledge I don't have, and you seem able to connect with all of the
different efforts to help people problem-solve and keep focus.  Well, I'd
say that's your job.

Where's the seul-edu web site that contains a simple and clear description
of each project and provides access to code?  I may have missed something on
this, so someone help me out here.

Douglas Ort
ort@northnet.org

//snip//
~As to an overall "stage manager," I don't know if we need one at
~this point.
~ I get the feel that various of our projects are actually moving and should
~begin to show visible progress soon.  Douglas Ort, you seem to be
~the one of
~us with the most experience in management.  Do you have any concrete
~suggestions as to what we should do now?  I'm thinking that as soon as our
~project leaders accept their projects we should ask them for lists of tasks
~needed for their projects, along with tentative schedules and contact info
~for people interested in working on the project.  Then we should
~get at least
~ weekly updates on progress, and notes on places where more effort
~is needed.
~  We can then apply ourselves to those places or solicit people to
~help with
~the work.  I've done that in the past; you'd be surprised how often people
~are willing to help if they're just _asked_.
~
~[suggested timeline snipped]
~>What do you think?
~>
~It looks good, although perhaps (and I only say perhaps) a bit optimistic.
~But hey, let's go for it!
~--
~Doug Loss            An idealist is one who, on noticing that
~dloss@csrlink.net    roses smell better than cabbage, concludes
~(717) 326-3987       that they will also make better soup.
~                        H. L. Mencken
~