Re: EDUML, the Launchpad, and Timeframes

>>>MY == Micah Yoder <LYoder@cyberis.net> wrote at Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:36:17
-0400 :
>it seems as though EDUML would
>eliminate the need for the launchpad!

Except for the possibility of the launchpad enabling access to more
selections based on progress in earlier selections.  This would require some
sort of progress-aware UI configurer.

>Here's where I envision us heading.  We really do need some more
>direction here, so perhaps a leader should jump in and correct me and/or
>help this move along:

I'm probably not that leader, as I don't have too much experience running a
software development project.  I think from your timeline that you're talking
 mostly about EDUML and the administrative software, right?  Wil Langford and
 I have been putting together a projects page that lists project leaders (who
 in some cases were just the people most interested in the topic), status and
 description of 12 or so projects that are either started or under discussion
 here.  If any of our project leaders decline the honor(?), we'll look around
 for someone else willing to take that project on.

As to an overall "stage manager," I don't know if we need one at this point.
 I get the feel that various of our projects are actually moving and should
begin to show visible progress soon.  Douglas Ort, you seem to be the one of
us with the most experience in management.  Do you have any concrete
suggestions as to what we should do now?  I'm thinking that as soon as our
project leaders accept their projects we should ask them for lists of tasks
needed for their projects, along with tentative schedules and contact info
for people interested in working on the project.  Then we should get at least
 weekly updates on progress, and notes on places where more effort is needed.
  We can then apply ourselves to those places or solicit people to help with
the work.  I've done that in the past; you'd be surprised how often people
are willing to help if they're just _asked_.

[suggested timeline snipped]
>What do you think?

It looks good, although perhaps (and I only say perhaps) a bit optimistic.
But hey, let's go for it!
--
Doug Loss            An idealist is one who, on noticing that
dloss@csrlink.net    roses smell better than cabbage, concludes