Netscape localisation without Re: Caldera

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

>> Can you send me more details about this (in personal mail)?
>
>http://www.mozilla.org/docs/l10n/ulpFAQ.html#15
>
>And a confirmation from Netscape:
>
>>Thanks for your interest in Mozilla. Unfortunately, our agreement with
>Caldera forbids anyone but them from doing localized versions of our
>products
>for the Linux platform. I understand this arrangement has been under
>review,
>but for now, I believe Linux must be excluded from the ULP's supported
>platforms. You may be able to contact Caldera directly to see if they
>are
>interested in doing a French version.

I remember I edited Netscape.ad file to get russian  menus  and
buttons. Is it a right way to do localisation?

Of course, it doesn't mean total localisation but people  think
it makes Netscape more usable and understandable...

I must confess, I am totally at  loss  in  russified  programs.
Once, I seached for "Preferences" in IE for 5 minutes before  I
found them in a menu under "Svoistva Obozrevatelya"...  another
case was with a decimal point, which was "," not "."  -  I  got
lots of errors in a spredsheet and  was  hunting  them  for  30
minutes...

Sincerely yours,
Roman A. Suzi

 -- Petrozavodsk -- Karelia -- Russia --