I forgot to introduce myself :-)

Hello, all!

I am reading SEUL-EDU archives at the moment and I noticed that
almost  everybody  here  posted  introductions.  Though   I  am
participating in this list for quite awhile, I think it is good
idea to introduce myself as recommended.

I am 24 years old  postgraduate  (technical  sciences:  applied
math) student of Petrozavodsk state university situated in  the
city of Petrozavodsk, Karelia, Russia. At the same  time  I  am
working  as  a  programmer-methodologist  (it  is  so  formally
called)  at  Karelia  Educators  qualification  and  retraining
institute. The essense of my work is to make,  find,  describe,
etc educational software, recommend or give it to teachers  and
teach them to use it. I am also  in  charge  of  our  institute
intranet and all  computer  administrative  tasks  which  could
occur in Mac/Win/Linux environment.

It is a common practice in Russia  to  "give  away"  commercial
software and this practise I am trying to reduce. One way I see
how computer piracy can be prevented  is  by  going  into  free
software. Thus the choice of Linux.

But educational software  for  Linux  in  our  native  language
(russian)  is  non-existant.  So,  I  was  very  glad  to  join
seul-edu.

Unfortunately, I can't even demonstrate Linux properly  in  our
Institute (where the most powerful machine is 486DX-66 with  12
Mb of RAM and 256Kb of videomemory,  to  add  to  my  troubles,
hardware is broken: I can't even compile Linux  kernel  without
problems.)

Fortunately, there are now 2 schools here which are using Linux
and 1 trying it. I am helping them with Linux.

Teachers I met have "cautious interest" in Linux due to lack of
russian applications and russian menus in the software.

Of course, there are teachers who came to school from  industry
(and from Unix/RT OS/VMS/...) and tell me they could  be  happy
with Linux.

I  am  also  teaching  a  small  group  of   schoolchildren   C
programming. I do it on Linux server.

To add to the basket, I  am  a  moderator  of  relcom.education
usenet group... (And you can easily believe  everybody  reading
that usenet group knows what Linux is!)

You know, Open Source software is being done  volunteerely,  on
free will of the developers. The current situation in Russia is
such that  majority  of  the  population  are  volunteers:  our
salaries are postponed for 1-7 months  and  after  this  fall's
crisis, they are also negligent. So,  one  more  volunteer  job
doesn't matter ;-)

*

The problem with me is that I am good at  idea  generation  but
not so good at their realisation. I had 6 more or less software
projects in the past, 2 of which I failed  ;-)  (please,  don't
throw rotten tomatos at me!)

These 2 failures were due to me over-estimated my time budget or
was not able to organise other people properly...

Even now I have some deadlines I must meat  instead  of  typing
this introduction or reading seul-edu archives.

So, please, excuse me - I will try to concentrate on problems I
have at the moment, including my newborn OSS project QZB
( http://cvs.seul.org/~rnd/index.html ).

*

BTW, does anybody mind if I post some  seul-edu  material  into
relcom.education newsgroup? (with proper  acknowledgements,  of
course!): our educators are  interested  in  american  ways  of
education, though argue against "hands on" practise ;-) (we had
a discussion on it some time ago).

In exchange I must tell you that in Pereslavl  Zalessky  region
in Yaroslavl oblast of Russia we have an educational net  build
almost  completely  with  free  software  (FreeBSD  and   Linux
routers, servers...). They use  ucblogo  on  UNIX  workstations
with  4-6  form  schoolchildren  (if  I   remember   correctly)
Unfortunately, their page when I last looked at it was only  in
russian http://www.botik.ru/tech and their channel to the world
is always overloaded.

I will try to find time (and patience!) to  explore  their  net
more to mine more details.

C u later!

Roman A. Suzi

 -- Petrozavodsk -- Karelia -- Russia --