Re: White Horse

EAMorical@aol.com wrote:

> S. Barret Dolph
> Headmaster
> White Horse English
> Development Center
> Taipei Taiwan
> writes:
> >We would. We have just started a program which has several goals.
> >•Use our school as a showcase for what Linux can do for business in a Chinese
> enviroment.
> >•Organize, develop, and work with local users to develop a library of Linux
> documents translated into Chinese.
> >•Teach our children how to use computers, on Linux based machines.
> >•Find ways to test, document, beta, whatever, programs available.
>
> >Agree with no esperanto. At least in Taiwan, most try to develop fluency in
> >Mandarin Chinese, Taiwanese, and English.
>
> >We would like to develop a translation center here. What we could use is a
> list
> >of key documents which should be translated. That is, the translation work is
> >not difficult. What is difficult is knowing what to translate. Would it be
> >feasible to have a list of documents which have a high priority for
> translation.
> >Any ideas on this?
>
> Barret,
> I pulled these posts together so that I could focus on the whole picture.
> Let's see if I've got the picture correct. The goal is to develop a library of
> Linux documents translated into Chinese.

I would like to expand this to develop a method for developing Linux libraries.
That is, if we spend the time determining what is most useful we should be able to
develop a procedure for localization of Linux.

> The purpose I assume is to provide
> help in the installation and use of the Linux operating system and Linux
> applications.

> Also information like, "Why use Linux in a business environment"
> could be useful.

That is correct. We will be pursuing several mutually supportable goals. Develop a
Linux enviroment for educational purposes. Develop and implement a Linux
enviroment for business. Develop and implement a Linux enviroment for Chinese
Users. These goals will have to be structured so that every step may be analyzed
in order to help further work on localization of Linux proceed more efficiently.

> The problem is knowing what to translate. I will work with
> you to solve this problem. Stumbling around, I came across the Chinese LInux
> Documentation Project (http://www.linux.org.tw/CLDP). It appears to be
> connected to the Taiwan Linux Users Group you mentioned. Since I can't read
> it, perhaps you could tell me if it meets any of your needs. Then we can see
> where to go from there.

I will get you a list of the documents which have already been translated. The
list is not well organized. It seems that whatever the translator was interested
in was translated. Accordingly, there are several documents on Enlightenment, a
few simple set-up texts, and a mish-mash of other stuff. I believe that the
problems facing Chinese may well be faced by others. I would like to take this
opportunity to make localization a more efficient project.

> I'm assuming Daniel Glenn is involved in the same project. By the way I really
> liked the white horse on your web site. It must have some significance or
> meaning.

White Horse Temple in Mainland China is where many important Buddhist texts were
translated. Furthermore, Bai Ma, which is how you would say White Horse in
Chinese, has two other strands of meaning in Chinese Culture. Throughout a famous
book, Journey to the West, a book where a mischevious monkey goes on numerous
adventures, White Horse has the meaning of upright behavior and honor. Finally, in
an early book of logic a philosopher was fond of saying that white horse is not
horse.

Anyhow, thanks for the help

> I saw the two posts replying to the hardware/software issues you
> asked about. I will see what additional information I can get you.
>
> 1999 The Year Of Linux
> Make It Happen
>
> Bob
begin:vcard
n:Dolph;S. Barret
tel;fax:022-937-6633
tel;work:022-937-6633
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/index.html
org:White Horse English Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:White129@ms7.hinet.net
title:Mr. S. Barret Dolph
adr;quoted-printable:;;#1 Bao Yi Road, Lane 26, #1=0D=0AWen Shan Area Mucha District;Taipei;;;Taiwan
fn:White Horse English Development Center
end:vcard