Re: Older Equiptment

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Doug Loss wrote:

> Take a look here:
> <http://apng.edu.tw/gsh/ednet/index.htm>
> They appear to be doing exactly that.

That is like exactly what I'm thinking of! although there's not a lot of
technical information on their web page.  Not that I'm a big fan of Apple
IIs, but I am a realist :) Schools still have tons of them.

I could see a problem though, teachers might be concerned that their kids
won't be able to relate to these Apple IIs when they're going home and
playing 3d multimedia games on their Windows 95 Pentium II 450's... but
(having been one) I know kids are pretty adaptable and if they think bad
of the Apple IIs as terminals initially, that will go away once they
realize there's a human at the other end of the connection.

> I checked for ethernet adapters
> for Apple IIs; evidently Apple was developing one in the early '90s but
> then scrapped the project.  I haven't found anything else.

I wasn't too hopeful about ethernet adapters, even if they did exist they
would be able to do a lot.  Then again, I suppose you could run old Apple
software served off a Linux server. Beats dealing with those old floppies
for sure :)

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/