Re: Thoughts on Alterra?

>>>RD == Roger Dingledine <arma@mit.edu> wrote at Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:36:24
-0400 :

>I took a look at it. It looks relatively complex...in my experience,
>balancing complexity like that (so the game is fair and fun) is difficult.

Yup, it's fairly complex.  And the balancing you speak of is important but
can be done with sufficient playtesting.

>Have you looked at already-implemented alternatives, such as Empire?

Nope.  The reason for Alterra was the perceived shortcomings of the major
educational simulation available at the time, INS.  Empire is designed and
intended (I believe) primarily for recreational use.  Its emphasis is on
warfare and conquest and having an ultimate winner, which didn't fit what I
was looking for very well.  That was a way to simulate the actual
interactions between nations and large international organizations.

--
Doug Loss            Democracy substitutes election by the
dloss@csrlink.net    incompetent many for appointment by