search for quiz software [Fwd: helping with seul-edu]

I just found out about seul-edu, and sent mail to Doug Loss.  He said I
should introduce myself to the mailing list, so I am including the mail
I sent to him.

I plan to work on a quiz generator and have been doing web searches to
see what is out there.  Since other people on the list may be interested
in what I found, I organized my bookmarks into a web page:
http://www.blueneptune.com/~dkionka/quiz/  Let me know of other sites I
should add.  If there is someone in the group keeping track of sites
like this, I will gladly turn this over to him.

Dan Kionka

-- BEGIN included message

This is the project I have been looking for!  I am a software engineer
and part-time instructor at Evergreen College in San Jose, CA, where I
teach an online Java programming class.  We are using a canned system
from Waite, so there is no customization.  I decided I am going to put
together some tools to help me with the class.  I figured I would find
code out there, and would write my own if need be.  I am also the past
president of the SVLUG, the local Linux group, so I wanted an open
source system that runs on Unix.

The first thing I need is a way to create an online midterm.  (The final
is done on campus and is the only time I see the students.)  Right now I
mail out the midterm and have to grade it manually when they mail it
back.  I am doing web searches and have found some quiz generators that
do most of what I need.

One idea I have is a way to allow fancier quiz questions.  Most of the
generators take a text file and generate all the html.  This is not good
enough for me because I need to give (formatted) pieces of code and ask
what will happen.  My idea is to start with an html file that has the
questions and answers indicated in some way, and use that to generate
separate question and answer pages.

Well, the first step is to let you know I am here and interested in
working with you.

Dan

-- END included message