Re: Plethora of gradebooks

hi,

This is where i see my gradebook going/not going in the future:
sql.   I am going to create an sql schema from the eduml.
       It will support a large subset of the eduml as well as
       a super set.

perl.  My gradebook front end to the sql database will always
       be in perl and gnome-perl.

gnome.  As soon as the gnome and gnome perl api is 1.0 we will
        be using it.

xml.  We will not be using xml to store grade or anything else.
      My gradebook will be able to transfer data from the sql
      db into eduml xml.  All xml will strictly be for data
      transfer.

C/C++. I will NOT be writing a c or c++ application.  This
       does not mean someone else can't write a c gradebook
       that interfaces with the sql db.

web. As some people aready know, my gradebook has web
     connectivity.  Cory a guy working on this app with me
     wants to extend the web "stuff."  We will probably
     have a web frontend before long.

docs. Our docs are very crappy right now.  expanding and
      updating them will become the task of the community
      i fear.

license.  i would like to make my gradebook under the gpl,
          bsd, and artistic license just to make everyone
          happy.

INSTALL
Installation of this application i going to be difficult,
because of the number of libs and modules that are needed
to get the system running.

This will/is not a single user application.  I think that
is where the need for more than one gradebook rises from.

The other gradebooks are going to be much easier to install
and use, especially when one teacher wants to use the application
without having everyone standardize on one gradebook in a school
system.

It looks like Bradley is going to be using sql, so if he would
get a hold of me so we can discuse the db schema to use, i
would be very happy.

--matt wimer