[seul-edu] Equipment requirements for LinuxCanada

I sent off the signed agreement this afternoon, so we're now committed to doing
two seminars at LinuxCanada.  When I say we, I mean I'm committed but I'd really
enjoy the assistance of anyone who wants to help put these on and to staff a
booth on the show floor.

One of the forms I haven't sent back yet is the equipment/AV request.  Their
standard equipment is a podium, a 30" by 8' table (that's about .75 by 2.4
meters), a lapel microphone, projection equipment to accomodate room size, and an 8' by
8' (2.4 by 2.4 meters) projection screen.

Additionally we could have any of these: flip chart and markers, easel, laser
pointer, 35mm projector(s), slide tray(s), projector dissolve unit, extra screen,
overhead projector (transparencies), audio cassette player, additional
microphones, VHS-VCR, 3/4"-VCR, SVHS-VCR, BETACAM SP, a beefy multimedia PC of Mac, an
internet connection, or an audio connection for a computer.

Of all this, here are the things I think we should ask for.  Extra mics, since
I don't expect to be doing this alone (don't let me down, folks). An internet
connection, since internet is how we do our work and I don't want to work up some
special setup just to demo things that are already being demoed on the 'net.  I
don't think we should ask for a PC or Mac, since I'm fairly certain that
whatever they would supply wouldn't be running Linux, and I have no doubt we'd lose
credibility by using Windows to demo www.seul.org/edu/.  We should supply our own
system, whether it's a laptop or a desktop system, to run our demos, web browser,
and presentations on.

All the rest is stuff I can't think of any particular use for.  The laser
pointer might be useful if it's powerful enough to hold unruly mobs at bay, but I
doubt the batteries would last long enough for us to effect a getaway.  The flip
chart and markers might be useful, but I'm not sure how.  We should probably find
out just what kind of projection equipment they have and make sure our stuff
will work properly with it.

I realize that we don't have a firm enough idea of what the program we'll be
presenting is to know just what equipment we'll need, but if this list sparks any
ideas of something nifty we could show, let us know.  Also, does anyone who
plans to attend have a Linux laptop, preferrably one that we can install Magicpoint
(or something similar) on?  My laptop is running Solaris (one of the old Tadpole
Sparcbooks), and I won't be able to get Linux running properly till they folks
working on the port get the video problems worked out.

--
Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@suscom.net     those in authority off their guard and give