Re: [seul-edu] Tiny installation report, part 2

Chris Ellec wrote:

> Here is the next installement of the (war) story on installing Tiny on
> my laptop.
>
> For some reason (Murphy's), I can't download the 14M of xbase.zip
> through the laptop modem. This time the modem hang up half way.

I don't know if I have to feel sorry about that ?

> So I downloaded the file on my regular computer, unzipped it, transfered
> the files one by one, except for one that was 2+M, which I retarred on 2
> floppies to transfer over to the laptop. I was then able to run pkgtool
> and install everything. Pffew ....
>
> I ran xf86config, got a XF86Config file, but the server (vga16) would
> only run in 320x200. Tried SVGA instead, same thing. Tweaked the
> XF86Config file by hand for an hour, same thing. I finally tried
> XF86Setup,which by itself ran in 640x480 ! Got a Config file from that,
> same problem !
>
> How can XF86Setup run in a nice mode, but not be able to generate the
> config file for it ?
> To make the story short, CTRL-ALT-F3 to a new console, ps xw to see what
> XF86Setup is running,: a config file in /tmp/667834568/Config-1. Copied
> that to /etc/XF86Config and voila !
>
> Some time I'm amazed at how far Linux has come, and how far it still has
> to go ...

mm...
would you like to join 'tiny-dev' ?
you would be very welcome
and it would enable you to speak with Jean-Francois Martinez, everyday
if you like

just send message
'subscribe tiny-dev@seul.org' (body)
'majordomo@seul.org'

thanks !

> Anyway, everything is working fine,  I'm using 75M, and I have about 15M
> left.  Next I'll  put my favorite goodies for old computers: lynx and
> jed.

jed is already there

--
Odile Bénassy,