Re: [seul-edu] Re: perl or......

The compilation of word lists and indexes is quite important to
all within the academic community. From my experience few programs
handle this well. Adobe to Microsoft. It seems that Linux may have
some solutions. (This is my justification for taking your time.)

I have books, reading books, workbooks, etc where I need to check how
frequent words appear, make indexes of words used, and check where
special words are used.

Examples....I am currently rewriting spelling words and vocabulary words
for all grades. (Currently, 1-6) What I do now is to make a list of
words on a spreadsheet...example ab....away....abscond abnormal etc.
I also have lists of most common English words. I will take these lists
and have a secretary compile an index using Word Perfect.

It would be nice to find out how frequently certain roots are used and
then use simple and frequently used words for earlier grade spelling
lists. How could I index multiple books? How could I make an index which
would show where in the text the word appears? If the indexing shows a
poor etymology...example of slapped as you mention, how could I remove
that word. It would seem impossible to list all possible exceptions but
it would be nice to easily edit the indexes.

I don't mind studying anything to do such work as my lists become more
complicated every year.

Cordially,
S. Barret Dolph
Taipei Taiwan