Re: [seul-edu] education and schools

At 12:54 PM 12/27/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>Michael Viron wrote:
>
>>> Many people confuse school with education, but generally
>
>>> education proceeds faster and deeper when schools as such
>>> are not involved, because productive relationships
>>> separations/isolations) and patterns can form which school
>>> would otherwise block or at least repress because they do
>>> not harmonise with the pattern which is the school itself.
>
>> As a very recent college graduate, I would have to say that this is not
>> necessarily the case.  Some schools, including The University of West
>> Florida (UWF), give you the ability to take courses that may not be at all
>> connected with your major as "electives" or dual-major should you so choose
>> (one of my friends graduated recently with a dual-major--Computer Science
>> and Music).
>
>We may be talking a little at cross purposes here. University is quite a
>different thing to ``school'' as such, and it sounds like your
>experience is a little more self-directed than usual (the short term for
>this is ``atypical'' :-)
>
>My comments were directed to the general case, and would be more
>strongly true for the earlier grades (and grade groupings themselves are
>one of the limiting factors important in repressing ``free-range''
>social pattern forming) than for University.
>
>> A few others come to mind including continuing to consult (as an alumni)
>
>Note that none of the above organisations, with the exception of
>Web Spinners, is founded on a school. There is no minimum educational
>certification for joining LPI, for example. School, as such, is the main
>ingredient in stone soup here. (-:
Actually, the local chapter of Phi Eta Sigma was founded at the school in
1986--not necessarily by the National Offices (although, they do a
dedication ceremony or something), but by students at a particular
university.  General Education Online / GEO Database were also founded at
the University (although they were never officially chartered as student
groups)--I'm working, with Roger's help, on moving GEO off of a server at UWF.
<snip>