Re: [seul-edu] Unique Linux in education resources?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Dingledine" <arma@mit.edu>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 6:07 PM
Subject: [seul-edu] Unique Linux in education resources?

| I started enumerating major services from the Linux in
education
| community which are actually available and useful now.
I've put a (*)
| before ones that appear to be unique, and a (M) next to
topics that seem
| to be missing. I was also going to list all the duplicated
efforts such
| as lists of links, partial sets of applications,
half-written advocacy
| docs, etc, but I got overwhelmed by all the links I found.
Treat each
| of these topics as a "must-have"s for whatever the
coalition turns into.

| Please go through here and tell me if there are any sites
solving
| the problems that I have marked with an M. Also mention if
there are
| projects duplicating something I marked with a *. I'm
looking for actual
| functioning projects that have people behind them; not
just dead webpages.

| Are there any critical topics that I'm missing?

snip......

| (M) A centralized place to handle, process, pass off
volunteers, and list
|     open jobs and undone tasks.

http://www.linuxhelpers.org/lenpp.html  is a site for just
exactly this need

I designed it as a static html because of the limitations of
my isp and my inability to work with cgi.  I have since
moved it off the isp and have it on a low performance
server.  I expect to have it on a much better box running
postgres+php by this weekend.

I have no experience in actually coding the dynamic site,
but have worked out a few basic pages to show the look and
feel I think will be useful.  If there is anyone else with a
plan in mind, please toss it out.

I have ego, I am greedy, I am a Capitalist, but I think our
kids, and by default the schools, deserve the best we can
offer in terms of computer technology.  I will accept a full
redesign of Linuxhelpers.org.

In order to get the school systems looking at the notion of
open source software running on ABM*, they need to know they
can get experienced and reliable local assistance on short
notice.  We *all* need to be there if a school calls to help
them install and configure systens and teach the teachers to
use the software

Regards,
Bill Ries-Knight
2 cases of canned spam every day.
That's all we ask from each sysadmin.
(Oh, and don't forget the site the spam is for!)