Re: [seul-edu] The nature of our coalition

Doug Loss wrote:

> Before I start off on this, I'd like to invite everyone following
> this discussion on the OS:N: mailing list to join the seul-edu

Done, ouch! One more list...  ;-^)

snip..........

>local autonomy, and shouldn't.  Each member of the coalition will
> have certain competencies and skills, most likely differing from
> those of other members.  The individual entities can choose what
> they wish to contribute to the coalition effort.

In looking at where Linux in Schools and the K12LTSP distribution are
going I see us aiming squarely at putting an OS desktop in classrooms.
We're excited about the applications that coming out but that's not
really our focus. Since July we've distributed over 2000 copies of
K12LTSP. Our goals there are pretty clear, an easy to install and
maintain desktop that will run on the kind of equipment schools have or
can buy for under $200. This process will be good for us as it frees us
to focus on just a few things rather than try to do everything.

Our focus = Distributions, Installation tutorials, Admin tutorials and
Evangelism, LUG support etc...

I am really glad that Red Hat is offering to step forward with technical
support especially with access to Red Hat network. I have a feeling that
there are some folks there who do want to see OS in schools. PR help on
their side would also be appreciated.

>The coalition
> itself may (and probably should) set requirements for membership, so
> that entities don't join the coalition merely for some perceived
> cachet and then contribute nothing to the common goal.

I'm not sure about membership and requirements and such... In it's
simplest form it comes down to will you help the other projects by
promoting them and linking to their sites? We will do all of that. I'm
interested in the links script the SEUL folks are working as it's just
likely to find dead ones listed on some of the pages I visited as live
ones. There are several MAIN sites as I see them. We'll start putting a
graphic and simple menu system on our site as soon as our new domain is
active. (K12OS.org) Michael Williams and I are combining our K12Linux
and K12LTSP efforts into one site. We get about 5000 hits a month now,
hopefully an easy to use menu will help steer folks to other pages. It
would be great if this existed in some form on all of our sites. Ours
will be the first thing users see:
See example at http://k12ltsp.org/k12os/links.htm

snip.........
> The coalition itself would maintain a website that all member groups
> would direct visitors toward as the central navigation site to all
> things dealing with free resources for education.  That website

We'd be happy to do this. I don't know if things will ever settle down
to one site but we will be happy to link to the site. I'd also like to
see a portable menu common to all sites, almost a "web ring" type of a
thing but with a bit more direction. If users saw this on all the sites
and it had a common look they would have the sense of what they were
finding and I think be encouraged to explore the other sites.

Oops... time to go help the superintendent with is PowrPoint (actually a StarOffice...) presentation.

;-) Paul