Re: [seul-edu] The nature of our coalition

pnelson@riverdale.k12.or.us wrote:

> Doug Loss wrote:
>
> >The coalition
> > itself may (and probably should) set requirements for membership, so
> > that entities don't join the coalition merely for some perceived
> > cachet and then contribute nothing to the common goal.
>
> I'm not sure about membership and requirements and such... In it's
> simplest form it comes down to will you help the other projects by
> promoting them and linking to their sites? We will do all of that.

I'm just concerned that we don't be seen as the cool thing to join and
get a lot of member groups that don't work toward the goal or even have
anything particularly to do with education.  The perception to outsiders
(the general public and the educators) wouldn't be good, I think.

> snip.........
> > The coalition itself would maintain a website that all member groups
> > would direct visitors toward as the central navigation site to all
> > things dealing with free resources for education.  That website
>
> We'd be happy to do this. I don't know if things will ever settle down
> to one site but we will be happy to link to the site. I'd also like to
> see a portable menu common to all sites, almost a "web ring" type of a
> thing but with a bit more direction. If users saw this on all the sites
> and it had a common look they would have the sense of what they were
> finding and I think be encouraged to explore the other sites.

Geez, Paul, you folks are already doing quite a bit.  Give someone else
a chance! :-)  Seriously, there may be other groups that want to help
for whome this would be the best contribution they could make.  I'd like
to see as many groups as possible taking an active role in this.

Doug Loss
dloss@seul.org