Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Mixed OS environments]

One easy way to migrate is to put up a K12LTSP server and then provide
boot floppies for students who want to work in a Linux environment. Take
a Windows workstation and boot with the floppy to get a brand new Linux
desktop. This works very well as it leaves the workstation untouched and
it's easy to convince non-linux techs to try this out.

Any PC in our building can now run as a terminal. All we had to do was
make a few boot floppy disks. One other thing we did was NFS mount /home
on the terminal server so users would have access to the same files they
had in older Windows workstations. The file server serves up /home via
Samba for Windows boxes and Netatalk for Macs. All of our new
workstations are thin-client K12LTSP boxes. Now, regardless of where you
  sit down, you have access to your files.

;-) Paul

Doug Loss wrote:

> owner-seul-edu@seul.org wrote:

>>To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
>>Subject: Mixed OS environments
>>
>>Dear all,
>>
>>I was wondering if anybody in this list can give some advice as to how easy or difficult it is to support technology in mixed-environments in schools.
>>
>>In particular, is administrating a lab running both Linux and Microsoft Windows much harder than just running an all-linux lab or an all-MS Windows lab?
>>
>>The questions is being asked because there is some debate on whether schools that want to shift from windows to linux should do it gradually, or should just jump into the deep end.
>>
>>Options discussed include:
>>- Mixing workstation OSes
>>- Changing server OSes while keeping workstations static
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Dzof
>>

> --
> Doug Loss                 All I want is a warm bed
> Data Network Coordinator  and a kind word and
> Bloomsburg University     unlimited power.
> dloss@bloomu.edu                Ashleigh Brilliant

Paul Nelson................................pnelson@riverdale.k12.or.us
Riverdale School..............11733 SW Breyman Ave. Portland, OR 97219
(503)636-4511......fax(503)635-6342.....http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us