[Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Advice on Linux servers]

-------- Original Message --------

From: Thomas =?ISO-8859-1?B?VGVtcOk=?= <thomas.tempe@insalien.org>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Advice on Linux servers

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:59:31 +0100
Paolo Pumilia <xpol@interfree.it> wrote:

> Speaking about routers/server, i run across 'openrouter':
> http://www.inaccessnetworks.com/projects/openrouter/
> a project sponsored by UE, it seems.
>
> What are pros/cons of chosing a specfically assembled hardware
> to set up a router?

1) durability. When's the last time you replaced a 1-year-old $1000-box
because the hardware wasn't up to the task?
2) reliability. See above.
3) resilience. When you drop a single-board computer with solid state hd
out the window, you can expect it to plug back and run again without a
problem.  Try the same thing on a server with moving parts.
4) plug-it-and-forget. little maintenance is needed if the OS has been
hand-krafted by experts. It is arguably much simpler than having to
install/harden a Debian base system.
5) atomicity: there won't be anyone arguing to let the secretary
(temporarily) use the firewall to do some office stuff. (I've seen that
with a Debian box).
6) form factor: I'd much prefer a small, stackable box for such a task
than a big PC tower with its noisy fan. It should also be rackable.
7) user training. I sure is easier to setup/maintain than a hardened
debian base, and won't scare users away as easily.

Now the cons:
1) Not really as cheap, as volume is typically lower.
2) You have to trust the guy who sells it, as he's the one who compiled
the box. That may sound laughable, but remember the last time a big
company admitted they had left intentionnal backdoors in their lead
products...

I've seen specifically-assembled firewall boxes running Linux with neat
web setup interfaces in Asia. But they were not cheap: close to $20000 a
piece. They ran on Linux, but the application was certainly not Free.

Having something like a Free Router project sounds to me like extremely
positive, as it will dramatically reduce the entry cost for
manufacturers
building specifically-assembled-hardware router.
It will lower the price by a great deal. We'd been waiting for the
Linux-based cisco killer, he should now be coming.

Have fun.

--
Thomas Tempé

"Love your country but never trust its government."
--=.jn_02ayh(+Q?mX

--=.jn_02ayh(+Q?mX--