Re: [seul-edu] the microsoft appeasment on the the settlement

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:49:11AM -0800, SteelHead wrote:
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100487,00.html?chkpt=zdnnh121001
>
> "The problem is they've got tons and tons of software and
> hardware, but very little support money," he said. "A lot
> of the educators I've talked to believe the benefits won't
> really be given out. If you're doing any kind of expansion,
> all the experts, including Microsoft, agree--for every
> dollar of hardware and software, you need three to
> implement it."
>
> Furniss and other critics are concerned that eligible
> school districts will pass on the offer because they won't
> have the necessary budget to effectively install and
> support the giveaways, as well as effectively train
> teachers.

I was not sure how one "lobbies" an Attorney General, so I called up the
Maine AG and asked the staff person in charge of this case.  Turned
out they were eager to receive comments either informally or formally,
by email, phone or in writing.  They immediately emailed me a copy of
their most recent filing in the case.

YMMV, this is Maine and it might not be so in other states.  I'd suggest
that if you live in one of the states where this is active, contact your
AG's office and ask how you can share your thoughts.

cfm