[seul-edu] Schoolforge - more inquiry

I confess - I have been lurking in this discussion for a while and am interested in seeing some of these ideas come to
fuition.

I teach middle school math. At school we have a Microsoft networks for the entire district and a Linux web server.  At
home I have a dual boot Wn98/Linux machine, and I confess I have little expertise with Linux - I like the idea of Linux
(But then, I liked the DOS prompt too..)

As a teacher, I often accumulate my own information for my classes. I have a web page; I have on-line access to student
grades and student assignments. Where possible I try to link reosurces to lessons. I even have some Perl and Javascript;
some compiled BASIC and some Visual Basic, and even one or two c++ programs.  (If you are curious, poke around at
http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath )

I am forgoing lurking status for the following reasons:

-This discussion, quite rightly seems to be focusing on the installation of an appropriate operating package for school and
classroom networking - No problem.

-There has been some discussion on developing appropriate software related to school administration (grades,
scheduling, student records, etc.) - No problem.

-There has been some discussion of developing software for classroom use (?)

	Is there something I am missing, or does this refer to something other than C++ or other compiled programs that
will run on a Linux machine?

-There has been some discussion of developing software to run on/with Linux (?)

	Again, is this something different from the question above? Are we to assume that all systems will run Perl, PHP,
Python? (I'm dropping names mostly - little knowledge)

-There has only been passing reference to web based programs.

	Since these programs are essentially platform-independent, will they be included - or would it be better to leave
then for elsewhere? Most of them are freeware...

I offer these only to continue the process - I am not looking for specific answers at this time.

Thanks for the consideration.

Jeff LeMieux