Re: [seul-edu] Schoolforge - more inquiry

Jeff wrote:

> I confess - I have been lurking in this discussion for a while and am interested in seeing some of these ideas come to
> fruition.

Welcome, Jeff!  We're always happy to here new voices!

> I am forgoing lurking status for the following reasons:
>
> -There has been some discussion of developing software for classroom use (?)
>
>         Is there something I am missing, or does this refer to something other than C++ or other compiled programs that will
> run on a Linux machine?

We're language- and execution-method-agnostic.  If someone wants to write shell scripts that are useful for classroom work,
fine.  More probably, Tcl/Tk or Python programs are fine too.  We hope that eventually something like PyCard, Visual Tcl,
and/or MetaCard/Revolution will allow teachers to develop their own courseware on Linux in much the same way they could with
Apple's HyperCard and its equivalents.

> -There has been some discussion of developing software to run on/with Linux (?)
>
>         Again, is this something different from the question above? Are we to assume that all systems will run Perl, PHP,
> Python? (I'm dropping names mostly - little knowledge)

I'm not sure if that's a different question or not.  I suspect not.

> -There has only been passing reference to web based programs.
>
>         Since these programs are essentially platform-independent, will they be included - or would it be better to leave
> then for elsewhere? Most of them are freeware...

Actually, we include a number of web-based and java apps in the SEUL/edu application index.  As far as I'm concerned, if it can
be used with Linux, it counts.  Ask Larry Prevett about WIMS!