From: Jeff <tackweed@whidbey.net>
To: seul-edu@seul.org <seul-edu@seul.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 7:56 PM
Subject: [seul-edu] Schoolforge - more inquiry

>I confess - I have been lurking in this discussion for a while and am
interested in seeing some of these ideas come to
>fuition.
>
>I teach middle school math. At school we have a Microsoft networks for the
entire district and a Linux web server.  At
>home I have a dual boot Wn98/Linux machine, and I confess I have little
expertise with Linux - I like the idea of Linux
>(But then, I liked the DOS prompt too..)
>
>As a teacher, I often accumulate my own information for my classes. I have
a web page; I have on-line access to student
>grades and student assignments. Where possible I try to link reosurces to
lessons. I even have some Perl and Javascript;
>some compiled BASIC and some Visual Basic, and even one or two c++
programs.  (If you are curious, poke around at
>http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath )
>
>I am forgoing lurking status for the following reasons:
>
>-This discussion, quite rightly seems to be focusing on the installation of
an appropriate operating package for school and
>classroom networking - No problem.
>
>-There has been some discussion on developing appropriate software related
to school administration (grades,
>scheduling, student records, etc.) - No problem.
>
>-There has been some discussion of developing software for classroom use
(?)

> Is there something I am missing, or does this refer to something other tha
n C++ or other compiled programs that
>will run on a Linux machine?
>
>-There has been some discussion of developing software to run on/with Linux
(?)

> Again, is this something different from the question above? Are we to
assume that all systems will run Perl, PHP,
>Python? (I'm dropping names mostly - little knowledge)
>
>-There has only been passing reference to web based programs.
>
> Since these programs are essentially platform-independent, will they be
included - or would it be better to leave