Re: [seul-edu] appropriate lightweight distribution

At 06:41 PM 12/13/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 07:33:40AM +0800, Keir and Robyn wrote:
>> I am planning on rebirthing some decrepid P133 16MB 1GB Windows machines as
>> Linux word processing and internet terminals.  Can anyone recommend a
>> distribution?  I was planning on using Red Hat, since it seems the most
>> widely available, but someone suggested that it might be too large and that
>> I should try a ?light weight? distribution such as Slackware.  I was
unaware
>> that there were any differences in distributions from a hardware
requirement
>> standpoint.  Can anyone suggest a distribution for this purpose?
>
>P133 will work, 16MB will work only in console mode, forget X.  More
>ram and you could run X but your would need more disk too, or NFS.
Not necessarily true.  We had 486/66's with 16 MB ram and < 1 GB hard
drives running X (granted it was one of the lightweight window manager's,
instead of gnome / kde, but it was still X).  They had no NFS mounts.  Of
course, this was with Redhat 6.2, not the more recent 7.x releases.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978