Re: [seul-edu] very rough draft of "about schoolforge"

Yes I thimk this idea is the most promising of all.
The idea of a foundry where the educational open source developers
collaborate and
challenge each other is an exciting idea. It also gives schools an easier
ride in an unsure new world.
There are risks in using open source software if you are an IT manager.
A bad choice could bite you. ( come to think of it this happens with M$
software as well)
A place that provides an independant type of validation is just a good idea
and I think will further open source software faster than anything else. I am
not saying that Schoolforge take responsibility for this validation.
What Schoolforge in fact does is provide a system where schools can check if
software is working for others first.
I also believe that better collaboration between the developers facilitated
by a system like Schoolforge will provide opportunities to better provide a
total (thats an ideal) solution.  I can see lots of solutions out there and I
can see some that will work well with others and some that won't. I think
schoolforge should offer advice in this regard.
At the least it could be a one stop educational software shop. Before you go
the expensive way check out what else is available and what others have to
say about it.
I must say that  I have not really spent enough time looking at other peoples
projects.
I have now started doing this more. I spent a good deal of today checking out
MimerDesk (mimerdesk.org). I was impressed. It is a great collaboration or
community building tool for schools or educational communities (and probably
more).
Now which pieces fit with which pieces to try and offer a better total
solution to schools?

We all know linux is fantastic what else goes with it to make a robust and
sustainable school IT structure.

Myles O'Meara
schoolmation.net