Re: [seul-edu] appropriate lightweight distribution

I'd just like to add that Linux-Mandrake should be about 10% faster than Red
Hat because Mandrake compiles in Pentium optimizations.

Last year I used the then-latest Mandrake (6.1) on some older Pentiums
without any trouble.  A recent Mandrake like 8.0 might even be OK, but I
haven't tried that recently.

Definitely bump up the RAM if possible.  Sometimes www.hitechcafe.com runs
good specials on old RAM.

Two months ago I got RH 6.1 and X to run acceptably well on a 486/100 with
12MB of RAM.  I used flwm.  It was usable for most things but on heavier apps
it had to access swap a lot.

Jeff Nelson