[Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] XML Usage]

-------- Original Message --------

To: seul-edu@seul.org
From: Gerald Logan <glogan@mail.telusplanet.net>
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] XML Usage

I am currently working on a learning objects/repository project that
is using XML as the tagging schema.  We are looking at using CanCore
http://www.cancore.ca/  as a tagging schema, there is a lot of talk
about going to full IMS and working towards being SCORM compliant.
This is all a little theoretical at this point as we have only tagged
a few items and they are not in a repository.  The first two
initiatives reside on a web site. The first being a Reference Center
made up of some commercial sites we have licensed for all publicly
funded schools in the Province of Alberta.  The second resource is a
set of lessons for Grade 6 students.  You can check it out at
http://www.learnalberta.ca.

The next initiative that we will be rolling out is a video streaming
pilot, this is where we will use the XML.  There will be information
published about this later next year.

The tools that we are looking at are ALOHA as the tagging tool.  It
is being developed in a research facility at the University of
Calgary called the Learning Commons.  they are involved in a BELLE
project which you can find our more about at
http://www.netera.ca/belle/

They have a learning objects repository called CAREO
http://136.159.110.71/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Careo which you might like
to check out as well.