Re: My local Linux advocacy efforts

--

Hi Doug,

I've been lucky enougth to have both WinNT and Linus as server in my
school.
in this posotion I can give some objective arguments why not using WinNT
but Linux as file server with samba.

1. Samba is very very powerfull. I mean this is an incredible flexible
package if you compare to WinNT. And also it very easy to manage because
most of the configration is on /etc/smb.conf. A bad point about Samba
(but i don"t use version 2.0) is the encrypted password, I don't find
script/application to add new user to the samba password file, I do it
by hand - we are not so many peoples.

2. With NT server, it appears that the logon script doesn't execute
every time when a Win95 cient logon. With Linux as the server there is
no problem. (ie a logon script is a *.bat file the server send to the
client for execution. This is very usefull to customize a client at
startup)

3. Another VERY BIG PROBLEM of WinNT there is no quota in the NTFS
filling system. Of course with Linux this just work fine.

4. If the networked is connected to the internet, with Linux (on my red
hat) you can install (very easy) a proxy to cache the web. I don't know
for NT, but sure you need to pay if there is any.

Hope, it's help

--
Hilaire Fernandes
Dr Geo project http://members.xoom.com/FeYiLai/dr_geo/doctor_geo.html