[seul-edu] Re: new educational app

On Fri,  4 Feb 2000, jeff covey wrote:

>     Doug> <http://denemo.sourceforge.net/>
>
> hmmmm...  educational app?  that seems a bit of a stretch to me.  it's
> a program for notating music.  i guess it could be used in education,
> but then you'd have to say a word processor is an educational app
> because it can be used to teach writing.  pretty soon, the whole
> freshmeat appindex would be categorized under x11/education...

You're right about that.  However, Freshmeat and SEUL/edu have two slightly
different reasons for classifying something as "educational."  For
Freshmeat that means an application that is primarily educational in
nature, while for SEUL/edu it means an app that can be useful in education.
 Often these are the same, but for more general programs there are
certainly cases where a program would be educational in SEUL/edu's
classification but not in Freshmeat's.  No big problem--if I send you
things that don't fit Freshmeat's classification, cheerfully ignore them.

> p.s.:  where were you folks at lwce?  i wandered around the .org
>        pavilion twice and never saw you...

The Linux Knowledge Base project was co-located with MandrakeSoft, and was
representing all of SEUL.  We didn't have plans to attend LWCE at all till
Mandrake generously offered space and assistance.  However that was only
2-3 weeks before the Expo was to open, and we couldn't pull anything
together for SEUL/edu that quickly.  Our current efforts are toward a good
presence at Linux Expo Ameriques in Montreal in April and LinuxCanada 2000
in Toronto in May.

--
Doug Loss            There's no trick to being a humorist
dloss@suscom.net     when you have the whole government