Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: PHP Wiki]

Doug Loss wrote:

> Those of you who are familiar with the various forms of wikis, please comment on
> this.  Is this the way we should go?

I like Bruno's wiki because of the many extended features it offers,
especially for math. I also like Wikit (a TCL/Tk wiki) and the PHP
Wiki because they are simple to set up and use. I think SEUL could
benefit from both. Collaborations for documentation or programming
guides that only require text and links are fine for simple wikis.
For instance, some simple math programs for TCL/Tk, PHP, or Python
could be done using a wiki that supports simple text formatting
rules and links. Using unformatted text for code snippets is very
handy.

On the other hand I recently put together some materials for some
math teachers involving computer skills for math using Wikit.
Things are working but the capabilities of Bruno's wiki would
have made things a lot easier and more interesting for the teachers.

The possibility of putting inline math notation and examples of
gnuplot and python commands in a wiki is very appealing to me.

L. Prevett
Mathematics Instructor
Cochise College, Sierra Vista, AZ, US
prevettl@cochise.cc.az.us