[seul-edu] Video Editing in Education

As the media guru in my school's tech program, I have been given a daunting new task. The tech teacher wants me to find a way to teach digital video editing to the students. We currently have a 12 machine win98 lab.

Several thoughts I have had to accomplish this:
1. Run a file server with Adobe Premiere on each lab machine.
Pros: Easy. Teaches popular software.
Cons: Slower than #*$@ trying to move video files, licensing issues

2. Run a Linux X/File server with boot disk X-terms on each client.
Pros: Open-source, fast (on server editing)
Cons: Very little software at the moment

What other thoughts can anyone come up with? I would really like to work with getting Linux working for this. There isn't really and *good* software as of yet. The matterial project will have an education module built in but that is months/years away.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue at their schools. Look forward to your thoughts.

jmellen
Jason Mellen
Palm Bay High School
Webmaster / TSA Reporter / Television Producer