Re: [seul-edu] Best wm for tiny slow computers?

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 02:20:39PM -0500, Ralph M. Deal wrote:
> > > will run in RH 6.2 which I've chosen for its size.
> > It seems like if you install the same packages, then it will be similar in
> > size (with better performance and security with the more recent release).
> Seems reasonable but I'm following the advice of one of the
> active officers of our local LINUX users' group who is packages
You know, old software is suspectible to giving really more
problems than gains (especially when you stumble on bugs that are
fixed and forgotten by everyone for *years* as in RH6.2 case) --
you could probably be better off stuffing Debian or the likes
into the box, and there are lots of compact distributions (check
with lwn.net and probably mulinux.org).

Still, for really old hardware the best choice should be to turn
them to X terminals and make some cheap Duron or PII based system
an Application Server.  Consult say Remote-X-Apps (mini?) HOWTO.

As for WM, I personally prefer IceWM for 486s and WindowMaker for
everything better under *my* fingers; users can choose from KDE
and Gnome additionally.  But many like wmaker, too ;-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>
  ------ http://visa.chem.univ.kiev.ua/~mike/

PGP signature