Re: [seul-edu] Best wm for tiny slow computers?

Michael Shigorin wrote:

> You know, old software is suspectible to giving really more
> problems than gains (especially when you stumble on bugs that are
> fixed and forgotten by everyone for *years* as in RH6.2 case) --
> you could probably be better off stuffing Debian or the likes
> into the box, and there are lots of compact distributions (check
> with lwn.net and probably mulinux.org).

Yes, I've been warned by a KLUG member to make sure I have ALL the
updates for RH6.2. I'd rather stick to RH just because I can easily
make updates available to those who wish to upgrade their RAM/harddrive
or to go to a new CPU, etc.

> Still, for really old hardware the best choice should be to turn
> them to X terminals and make some cheap Duron or PII based system
> an Application Server.  Consult say Remote-X-Apps (mini?) HOWTO.

Since these will be stand-alone computers in homes with no internet
access,
in general, that is not an option, unfortunately.

> As for WM, I personally prefer IceWM for 486s and WindowMaker for
> everything better under *my* fingers; users can choose from KDE
> and Gnome additionally.  But many like wmaker, too ;-)

THanks for the advice.   I'll try Wmaker.

	Best, Ralph    deal@kzoo.edu