Re: [seul-edu] Re: LINUX onto old,small computers

http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5818

The RULE project.  I just saw this today. How convenient! It is attempting to
produce a small footprint Linux installation option for Red Hat. I just took
a quick browse, and it appears to be a work in progress, but has a lot of
very specific package information.
The homepage is http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/ and the project page
is: http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/rule/

From their web site:

 Purpose of the project

 Modify the current Red Hat Linux installer so that it runs in less than 32
MB of RAM, or create a new one if needed.
 Select, test, and (if needed) package the system and desktop applications
which give the greatest real functionality with the smallest
consumption of CPU and RAM resources
 Create another installation option of the Red Hat Linux distribution
(temporarily named "basic workstation", see note below),
containing all and only the packages above, optimized to run either a server,
or a basic desktop on obsolete hardware with very little
RAM and HD space.
 Promote and support (especially in developing countries) the use of this
install option with schools, public and private organizations.