Caution: Re: [seul-edu] Re: Linux boxes and a win2k server

There is one watch-out here when you're dealing with DNS, DHCP, WINS and
dynamic DNS updates using Windows NT 4.0 and 2000.

I ran into this at a client's site where I got into a large DISCUSSION within
my consulting firm about whether DNS belonged on a UNIX system or if it
should be on a Windows server.

According to: "DNS and Bind", Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu, O'Reilly Press,
1992, pp. 410-412:

"BIND 8 supports dynamic updates. Unfortunately, Microsoft's DHCP server
doesn't yet send dynamic updates to DNS server. It only talks to Microsoft's
WINS servers. WINS servers handle dynamic updates, though only for NetBIOS
clients. In other words, a WINS server doesn't speak DNS. ... only the
Microsoft DNS servers support WINS and WINS-R."

With Windows 2000, I heard that the Microsoft DNS server will not respond to
a slave server that isn't a Microsoft server.  In addition, the DHCP
information still isn't relayed back to the DNS server.

The implications are:
- There is no way to run a DHCP server on UNIX with the DNS server on Windows
and keep them coordinated automatically.
- Logging on UNIX will list only IP adddresses, not host names, and these
will not be traceable back to hosts because of the DHCP setup.
- If you have a Windows DNS server, all DNS servers must be Windows if you
want the inforamtion to be automatically updated on all slaves and delegated
masters.

I ran into this because the client was mainly a Windows shop, but their
inventory control system (the one that ran the business), was on UNIX. They
had remote sites over HP DTC's (basically terminal servers) and wanted to
track who was logging in remotely so they could scan the logs for security
purposes. They ran DHCP on Windows, and DNS was on UNIX when I got on the
account.