[seul-edu] Re: Linux boxes and a win2k server

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 06:59:33PM +0100, RRPotratz wrote:
> I'm teaching in a mission school in Niger and I've inherited an LAN of 12 of
> win98/win2k machines, in a network with a win2k server taking the DNS,
> DHCP and log on chores and some file serving.  To this mix I would like to
Are these involved in windows domain?  If not ("plain workroup"),
you could try to migrate the services to Linux boxen.

> guidence as to how to get the Linux box to get DNS and DHCP services
> from the win2k server.
As for DNS, add "nameserver $IP" to /etc/resolv.conf (as
usually); for DHCP you should set up dhcpcd AFAIK.

> The machine in questions will be 75-100MHz Pentiums with 32-48 MB
> Ram.........no X GUI
(btw these are quite reasonable graphical workstations with light
WMs -- as I've already mentioned).

> 1 >> What things (/etc files?  config files?) do I need to change to get the IP
> address for the linux boxes from the win2k server?  Is there some client I need
> to have running?
/etc/resolv.conf for DNS (and DNS-HOWTO to set up your own server);
/etc/dhcpc for DHCP client (seemingly) (and DHCP mini-HOWTO?).

> 2>>  How do I get the DNS information automatically from the win2k server
> instead of having to put it in /etc/hosts?
You'll simply get it :)

> 3>> When this is done, will logging on to the linux box also give me access to
> my network resources on the win2k server?  (assuming a working samba
> config)
Depends on how they're shared and which mode the server's in: you
can get "generic" (possibly password-protected) shares,
user-based auth or domain auth.  Samba docs are quite nice, and
reasonably fresh ones include ORA book on that.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>
  ------ http://visa.chem.univ.kiev.ua/~mike/

PGP signature