Re: [seul-edu] Best wm for tiny slow computers?

Dave Prentice wrote:

> You can squeeze a basic RH 6.2 with gnome into about 400-450 meg; from what
> I've seen and heard, 7.x takes at least a couple hundred meg more. Don't
> know why.

I just started distributing a 6.2 configuration that takes about 360M
but
without the abiword editor I had hoped for.  Users can be 100% GUI
except
that I have not yet been able to get a sudo that was current at late
RH6.2
version which would be a neat way to allow users to perform normally
root-only
tasks such as shutdown.  Any suggestions for an editor with table and
list
capability smaller than abiword?

I've had to copy disk images with dd by starting up and shutting down
LINUX
between transfers since I must have cold hard disk transfers.  Any
better way
(other than getting an extended ribbon cable to serve several hd's at
the same
time - how many are possible bythe way?)?  Would more RAM make that
transfer
faster?  It takes about 16 minutes for the actual image copying on the
16M,
75MHz machine.

I've greatly benefited from seul members' contributions on this project.

	Best, Ralph   deal@kzoo.edu