[seul-edu] Template for contacting app maintainers about packaging

Here's a draft of a template to send to the maintainer of each app we
want to put on our ISO.  Comments?

-----------------------------

Dear {name of app maintainer},

   I'm working on the SEUL/edu ISO project
<http://www.seul.org/edu/iso.html>.  We are gathering Linux applications
that are useful for schools and compiling them into an easy-to-install
CD image that can be downloaded, passed out at conferences, or
incorporated with various Linux distributions to create specialized
educational versions.

   We would like to include your application {name of application} on
our ISO, and were hoping you could help us.  To ensure the widest
utility, we need the apps we include to be FHS -compliant
<http://www.pathname.com/fhs/>.  We are working with DebianEdu and will
make the DEB versions of the apps we put on our ISO our reference
packages from which we develop RPMs for the various distros that use
them and TGZs for Slackware.

   If your app is already FHS-compliant, thank you.  If it isn't, would
you be interested in making it so?  We'd also like your help in
packaging the app, since you're more familiar with it than we are.  The
Debian Project will be happy to have the maintainers of various
applications responsible for their packaging too.

   If there's anything we can do to help you in this, please let us
know.  We appreciate your efforts.  Thank you.

{Your name}
SEUL/edu ISO project

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss              All you need in this life is
drloss@suscom.net      ignorance and confidence,
                       and then success is sure.
                         Mark Twain