From: owner-seul-edu@seul.org [mailto:owner-seul-edu@seul.org] On Behalf
Of Hilaire Fernandes
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 1:56 AM
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 3

Doug,

From my -- little -- experience with alien, I know there are problem
with the shared libraries when you convert an .deb package to a .rpm
one. If the .deb package of a binary application is prepared on a Debian
system with a library X with a number Y and you want to install it under
a RedHat distro using library X with number Y' the binary may not be
able to link at run time with the library X, number Y'.

I don"t know if there are any solutions to this issue.

With applicaiton written with interpreted language the problem may be
less sensitive.

Hilaire