RE: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 3: Debian menu

Here is what I think is happening with the menus with Debian, I could be
wrong.  When you create a Debian package and make a menu entry, you call
dh_installmenu in your "rules" file.  What this does is create a pre and
post installation script to install your menus.  It copies your "menu"
file to a package subdirectory, either /usr/lib/menu/{packagename} or
/etc/menu-methods/{packagename} depending on what it is.  /usr/lib/menu/
is for general applications and /etc/menu-methods is where settings are
stored for different window manager.  What happens then is that a
utility package is called to actually "update" the menus once the
package is installed.  This application is named "menu" and you can see
the package info at http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/menu.html.
I think this package might be Debian specific for setting up menus in
the different managers.

Darryl