Re: posting stuff on the web

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> In message <3691B3C5.C33C1948@slip.net>, brk@slip.net writes:
> >Would you like to post this contact list on my site, or use my site as a
> >mirror for data of this type?

> Just to clarify..anybody in seul-edu who wants to post something
> seul-edu-related on the web is welcome to do so at cvs.seul.org.
> You can contact me to get an account, or ask Doug or Wil to post it
> for you. (If the latter, it's generally considered kind to have it in
> html form before asking them. :)
>
> The benefits to putting it on the seul machines are:
> * More reliable/faster. I've got a nice connection here.
> * A central repository gives people a sense of order and progress. :)

I agree with Roger on this.  Since this is clearly useful info for
seul-edu it seems reasonable to store it here.  But mirroring it (or any
of the rest of our stuff, so long as it's clear from the context what
the meaning is) is a good idea.  Just as we should mirror your linuxedpp
page(s) when you get them running.

> Speaking of which, we seem to have a lot of stuff that isn't getting
> into the main site, and is just sort of growing in each user's
> public_html/ dir on cran. Wil -- do you think you could come up with
> a good way to get all of this into the repository?

I'm not sure _all_ of that should be in the central repository.  I doubt
that my Alterra stuff really should be there at this point, as it's
clearly way on the back burner.  Bruno's XML stuff probably ought to be,
though.  I think the users ought to have a say on when their stuff is
ready for the big time, and that we ought to have guidelines to help
them make those decisions.  Wil, let's you and me try to figure out
those guidelines, OK?

--
Doug Loss                 A life spent making mistakes is not only
Data Network Coordinator  more honorable, but more useful than a