Re: posting stuff on the web

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Doug Loss wrote:

>> The benefits to putting it on the seul machines are:
>> * More reliable/faster. I've got a nice connection here.
>> * A central repository gives people a sense of order and progress. :)

I agree.

As one with cran.mit.edu account, let me put my .02 roubles:

I think, that there is no need to put projects' home  pages  on
the main repository tree. Links to the ~user/ pages are enough,
IMHO.

I really had no  trouble  downloading  ssh,  compiling  it  and
connecting to cran. Uploading pages was never so easy (just  an
example):

$ scp qzb.html rnd@cran.mit.edu:public_html/index.html

This way I can update QZB home page without distracting anybody.

I also have my own web-space here (in Karelia), but I  plan  to
store project-related things in one Internet place.

Or is there any backup or mirror difficulties when pages are in
user space?

There could from time to time appear some good articles,  which
aren't connected to no project  (or  connected  to  several  of
them) their place is certainly under the main repository.

*

Please, Wil, also add a link to the russian translation I  made
for the Douglas Ort's oss.project.leadership.txt:

http://sampo.karelia.ru/~rnd/linux/oss.leadership.rus.html

Sincerely yours,
Roman A. Suzi

 -- Petrozavodsk -- Karelia -- Russia --