Re: GnomeGradeBook... (and EDUML?)

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 11:13:49AM +0800, Rhandeev Singh wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Wil Langford wrote:
> > Sure.  It's good to have a schoolwide default to save on data entry time,
> > but it's also good to be able to make exceptions.  If it's possible to
>
> Also, have an <alt-address> or <address alt=1 (or 2 or 3)> or something.

EDUML v0.8 has a <contact> element which includes <snail> (which can be
renamed <address>) I chose snail because it rhymes with email and because I
always confuse the french "adresse" with the english "address".  what do you
think?

> Because in our university, many students come from overseas and sometimes
> go home during the holidays to a nearby country.  From time to time, they
> prefer certain documents to be mailed "home" rather than "here" in this
> country.

we simply repeat the <snail> or <address> element as many times as needed
under a given <contact> element, or even create another instance of the
<contact> element for that <person>.

> Therefore, the two (or more :P) addresses should have independent locale
> tags, e.g.
>
> 	<address alt=2 format=federation housing=apartment>
> 	</address>
>
> Or maybe we should allow format to be
> (federation|big-country|small-country) etc...
>
> For example, Singapore doesn't even use a City field since the whole
> country is just one big city with suburbs; whereas I'm sure something like
> Tokyo is going to have a whole lot of hierarchical sub-divisions.

Does anyone know what the International Post Office standard is?  Rather
than re-invent the wheel, let's use the exact same convention that has been
hacked out by international agreement among Post Offices of the world.

They probably have something like an RFC for mail addressing conventions by
now, no?

Bruno