Re: Linux article

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 rnd@sampo.karelia.ru wrote:

> I think you are wrong here. Children need their  'home'  space!
> It gives them sense of authority and they will like the  system
> more, by trusting it!

Hi Roman (and everyone),

I agree with you here. I would also like to have a /home directory for
each student. At this point my approach is a compromise while I continue
to get the network configured. The single login allows me to get students
into the lab without taking on the challenge of figuring out which
students need accounts, who doesn't, etc.

The rest of our school is on a Novell Netware WAN. Every student already
has their own login name and password on that system. Since we in the
science department are still considered renegades for installing our own
network, we'd have to maintain a completely separate set of login names
and passwords.

I hope that once our network is shown to be stable and secure, we can
start authenticating through NDS to the Netware server. This should be
possible through Caldera's NDS software. Currently though, we've got two
distinct networks (science and the rest) which don't talk to one another.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your