Re: X-servers for Win & Mac Re: Introduction

I have already done a lot of research into setting up the lab, I welcome
all of your suggestions, i'll just list a few problems with various
things that have been discussed since I joined.

For students at my school, forcing them to dial into get files would be
discriminatry as not all of them have a modem let alone a computer.
This is not an option at least in the next 2 years as I can not see 100%
of them getting modems in that time frame.

The mounting of floppies is a real problem, and automounting them in
some way is ideally what I want to happen(as yet i haven't got a viable
choice for this).  The students need floppies so they can save their
WP8/Staroffice (i'll give them choice) work. Take them home and use them
on Word97 at home (The fact is that when I introduce this system 100% of
students will be using win3.1 or 95.

I was planning to run a VNC daemon on a P450/256mb/4.3gbUWscsid machine
with all apps installed on that machine to serve my lab of 10-15 (can't
remember how many are broken down) win3.1 remote boot prom machines in
the maths/science lab.

As the machines only have 4mb ram and no hard disk this would be the
best way to have an Xserver and Xapps display. (but i'm as yet not sure
about how much bandwidth this will use.

I would set up VNC so that it disconnected EVERY session, Also on this
network i'd use guest logins for now.

ANother possibility would be to have two main computers, one dedicated
to running the VNC daemon, and another computer for running Xclients
(Applications)

Then comes the third option. This option at this time seems very good.
Just add main (server) computers for particular applications until the
speed of the system is acceptable. (all have same spec as above)
ie 1 computer for running VNC daemon and handling that load. 2 for
handling Corel Office (when its released) Another for handling Gimp
Staroffice misc, one computer to handle Netscape (Netscape is hungry
bloatware) And if something there was too memory intensive then another
computer to alleviate that. etc etc.

I also need some type of Software for printing, where the kids goto the
staff room or library and pay 2 dollarsAUD for 20 printing credits. when
their credits run out their print job fails in some respect (hopefully
giving them some feedback ie Go purchase more credits from library or
staff room) If anyone knows about such software could they please tell
me about it.

Excuse the English it is not my forte and i'm feeling rather self
concious using poor grammar/spelling on a list full of teachers.

Thats all for now, I look forward to anyones ideas/solutions.

Regards

Matthew Wright
Network/Systems Administrator
Swinburne Senior Secondary College