Re: Draft of a regular announcement

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:50:51 -0500 Doug Loss <dloss@csrlink.net> wrote:
(http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Jan-1999/msg00123.html)

>This is a draft of a regular announcement that Wil Langford, Roman Suzi,
>and I have been working on.  We propose that it get posted automatically
>to this mailing list at the beginning of every month.  We prepared it in
>response to Barret Dolph's concern about copyright questions dealing
>with seul-edu material.  We'd like your comments and suggestions for
>improvement.  This isn't meant to be comprehensive on what topics are
>germane for discussion on seul-edu but suggestive of general
>categories.  What do you think?

snip

>All messages to the seul-edu mailing list and non-executable files
>stored on the seul-edu website are copyrighted by their originators and
>are licensed for reuse under the OpenContent Public License
><http://www.opencontent.org/opl.shtml> unless otherwise specified by
>their originators.

snip

First I would like to thank Doug, Wil and Roman for their time and effort on
this and the many other things they have done for seul-edu. The licensing
thing has been kicked around here and on the ComputerBank mailing list see
"GPL type license for documents" thread starting at
http://www.seul.org/archives/computerbank/Jan-1999/msg00102.html

Anyway this led me to take a look around some web sites. On the GNOME web site
I could not find anything about how they are licensing their documentation. On
the Debian web site I found the following license for their FAQs:

The following quoted from (http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/debian-faq-1.html).
"This document is copyright 1996, 1997, 1998 by SPI (see section Software
in the Public Interest).

Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
document provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
preserved on all copies.

Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
document under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the
entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
permission notice identical to this one.

Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this
document into another language, under the above conditions for modified
versions, except that this permission notice may be included in
translations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in the
original English."

On the Free Software Foundation web site, all I could find was "Applying
Copyleft To Non-Software Information" by Michael Stutz
(http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/nonsoftware-copyleft.html) under the following
heading:
"This third group of articles give other people's philosophical opinions
in support of free software, or related issues, and don't speak for the
GNU project---but we more or less agree with them."

Anyway I thought I would post this in case anyone was interested.

1999 The Year Of Linux
Make It Happen

Bob