RE: [seul-edu] Linux community support for education

I can respond to this from the LUG point of view.

Last year we had a guest at one of our LUG meetings who represented a
charter school that was starting up in our area.  This fellow was interested
in having our LUG help establish a Linux-based network in the school and
maybe help get the teachers up to speed on how to use it day to day.  We had
an enthusiastic group of about a dozen people who had a track record of
doing hands-on volunteering in the past so all looked promising.  We were
ready to pull wires, build servers, train people, and have a real first
class Linux network running in this school.  The problem is, the interest
from the school waned.  First day of school came and went and we still
couldn't get any kind of real status on when the equipment and wiring would
arrive.

This left a really bad taste in my mouth.  I spent hours putting together
quotes with the best prices I could find on routers, servers, X terminals,
you name it.  All designed to fit within or below the $$$ budgeted for said
hardware.  And I was prepared to help with the installation and
configuration myself, along with many other able folks from the LUG.

It seems clear that there is a lot of untapped potential in the LUGs to help
get schools up and running or retrofitted.  But the schools themselves do
have to play an active role in terms of actually spending the money with the
quotes are put in front of them, communicating to the LUG what their needs
are and their target dates for different goals, etc.

Chris Hedemark
Hillsborough, NC